Carp Fishing - Catch Your Biggest Ever By Ged Silvers

Proud angler with 17 kg Mirror Carp (Cyprinus ...Image via Wikipedia

Here are some tips to help you catch your best ever carp. When I caught my first carp, it weighed just over one pound. I know that is not much. The great thing was the way it fought, it felt as if it was twice as big. In fact the first spell of catching carp was brilliant fun, because they kept biting and I ended the day with a nice net full of carp.
None of these fish were much over one pound in weight but they gave me a lot of pleasure.
Well I did a little research and found that on the lake I was fishing, most of the fish were fairly new as it had been recently stocked and the biggest caught there was a little over three pounds in weight. I was told that there were some bigger ones in another lake, up to about twenty pounds.
This is the first thing to make a note of, if you want to improve your personal best, make sure you go to a lake where you know there are fish big enough to improve it. I asked other anglers at the lake the sort of baits they used and the methods. Most of them used hair rigs with a variety of boilies although in the summer months large fish had been caught on floating bread.
The biggest fish caught here was a thirty five pounder. I think this was caught at night or early evening. So here is another good tip: find out the best baits, methods and time for catching the largest fish.
I was not usually available for night fishing, so I knew I probably would not catch the biggest fish, but I was told there were a lot of fish between five and twenty pounds there.
This was a big improvement on my one pounders so I started fishing at the lake using boilies with a hair rig and within one hour I had a nice bite and hooked a three pounder. It is always a good feeling when you have hooked your best ever fish. I know a three pound carp is only a tiddler for some anglers, but for me it was the biggest fish I had caught, so it felt great.
I had another three pounder a little later on followed by a few smaller ones. Then I hooked an even bigger one, it took a lot of line off of my reel and my rod bent for a few seconds, but then my line broke. I was only trying to catch a five pounder at most so I only had eight pound breaking strain line on.
This was a good lesson for me to make sure I had stronger line on another time. Still this was a very good day's fishing for me. To recap then, to improve on your personal best you need to go somewhere that you know the fish are bigger than the ones you have caught before. You need to find out the methods and bait used to catch them. You need to know when the bigger fish feed. You will also need to make sure you have line and tackle that is strong enough to land them.
I hope these tips help you in some small way to land your personal best! This spurred me on and I had heard of people catching bigger fish, so I thought it would be great to catch something that made my rod bend and gave an even better fight than the one pounders.
For more tips on fishing and details of free fishing please visit:
http://www.squidoo.com/lake-fishing-tips
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails